Friday, February 20, 2009

Vaginas Can't Direct

I will admit that I discovered the following information on Feministing:

According to Entertainment Weekly, there are no active women directors good enough to make it on their super-cool exclusive "Top 25" list. Even though Almodóvar, Tim Burton, Gullermo del Toro and Scorsese made the list, this still pretty much offends me slightly.

I used to subscribe to EW in middle school with big dreams of going to NYU film school and graduating to become the most kickass film director like ever. I guess it's a good thing my parents ended the subscription before I realized I would have to squinch my face up real hard and grow a penis.

And Zack Snyder? Seriously? The dude who did 300? What the fucking fuck.

Woody Allen isn't even listed. I mean, he fits the genitalia requirement for the list, so why not?

But back to my story of struggle and soon-to-be triumph: Pretty much ever since I started taking video classes in high school I've been the token "chick" in the class who ends up making art videos as opposed to some lame, poorly lit "parody" of "Pimp My Ride" titled "Pimp My Lunch." If you catch my drift. For partner projects, I'd end up working alone because the number of people in the class conveniently happened to be an odd number. And I still made better videos.

That was probably kind of irrelevant, but now that I'm in art school and my video/film class is actually made up of mostly women and a gay guy, I can harshly criticize mainstream ideas of gender association through my own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment